The first organ at St. John’s was installed in 1816. When the present instrument replaced it, the original was sold to Redfield Road Methodist Church and used until the closure of the church in 1994. It can now be found in the English Organ museum.
The present organ was built by Wadsworth of Manchester in 1907 and was probably installed in the church when the chancel was extended in 1924. Its original position above the choir was unsatisfactory because the full beauty of the organ could not be heard. In 1970 it was moved to the rear of the building and in 2012 it was raised into its present position in the West Gallery when it was also fully restored and rebuilt in a new oak case.
Every Spring and Autumn we have a series of lunch-time recitals, many of which use the organ and have proved to be most enjoyable with a loyal following. Many guest organists consider our organ to be a fine instrument and it makes a significant contribution to the worship of St. John’s.
For further information, please contact the Organist,
Mrs Margaret Whatley email@example.com.